Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is crying in pain while sitting in the litter box. I

Customer Question
am pretty sure its a...
My cat is crying in pain while sitting in the litter box. I am pretty sure its a Urinary blockage because it has happened before with him. Due to finances I am unable to take him to the vet. I am very desperate as to what to do for him. Could you please give me a suugestion on what to do? Is there any way I can treat him myself or is there some way I can get assistance to help with a vet or vet costs in Long Island, New York?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Cat
3/27/2006
Cat Vet: ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician replied 11 years ago
ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
There really isn't anything you can do at home if he is blocked, which it sounds he is. This can result in death if it isn't taken care of quickly. I would try calling around and asking about making payments because most vets will do that. Please be sure you do something tonight or it will get critical.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I kind of knew there was nothing I could do but I am very desperate and very broke "You cant even believe how broke I am". My wife and I have bad credit due to a student loan in default and a bankruptcy from 6 years ago. We have called around and they won't accept us for credit.
Please this cat means so much to me and I am very desperate.
I can empathize with your situation but I really was being honest when I said there wasn't anything you could do at home for a already blocked cat. If he isn't going at all or just barely dribbling, it will get serious very quickly. WHat he needs to have done is the pressure relieved from his bladder by placing a tomcat catheter in and thats something you cannot do at home. My advise is not to tell the vet office you have bad credit when you call and try to get him in tonight.
Reply to ZooCVT's Post: I really needed help with my cat as to try and save him, but because I couldn't get the answer I needed to hear he is now dead. I needed advice either for me to physically do something to help him or a way I could save him with a vet. I know you gave the best advice you could give for a quick $10 but you just din't get what I was asking. I needed help, financial help. I couldn't even afford to give up the $10 I offered. I specifically mentioned the area I live in for advice on where to find assistance to help my cat. I know there are private agancies out there that will help out. The only person I knew that knew of such places is not around anymore to tell me, so I searched on the internet only to find this sight. I followed your advise and brought him to a vet that didn't ask about my credit until they told me how much it was and that they needed half up front. I flipped out when they showed me a bill for $1800, not even....it was an estimated bill. To top it all off they tell me that they have to transfer him to our regular vet for further treatment. I was sick to my stomach. 4 years ago my cat had the same procedure done and it cost me $175. The same exact procedure would have costed me $1800 + + because I took your advice. Now , just for walking into the hospital it was $130 and because I couldnt afford the bill they told me he probably wouldnt last till the morning because his urinary tract was completely blocked and his bladder was completely full, that it would back up into his liver and he would die an excrutiating death. They gave me another option, EUTHANASIA, for $225. I wound up borrowing money from my sister to pay the bill and he was put to sleep., Now I have to face my 2 daughters in the morning and explain why their cat isn't home
ZooCVT
ZooCVT
ZooCVT, Certified Veterinary Technician