Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

cat with black scab nose

Customer Question
My female cat is about...
My female cat is about 15 years old and for the last 3 months had something going on on her nose. It began as a black scab, i thought, caused by a scrap with another animal (neighbor cat), but finally the scab came off and she was very juicy red looking on the end of er nose. Then the nose turned black again and a larger area, it has happened 3-4 times. Her scab recently came off, and i was shocked to see that it looks like part of her actual nose is gone. and the process is starting again. I live very rurally, raccoons and other wild animals around at night, sometimes eating from her dish. any ideas? i could possibly get a digital camera and send a photo of her nose. I feed her dry catfood as she is still a hunter, and i occasionally add an egg. Most every day also I add about 1 teaspoon of dried brewers yeast, which seems to keep all fleas and ticks from being interested in her.thanks, emily

Optional Information:
Age: >12; Female; Breed: who knows

Already Tried:
nothing other than what i mentioned.

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Cat
2/28/2006
Cat Vet: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 11 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

Cat's noses will peel much like people's skin does, although it takes much more severe sun, wind and rain to make it happen.

There is a product called "bag balm" that's a moisturizer. You can get it at wal mart. It works great for cat noses and for the bottoms of the feet.

If there are wounds or mucousy/goopy areas on the nose, you can clean the nose with peroxide or betadine and then apply some neosporin ointment. If this does not help, you will want to see the vet for an antibiotic.

Aside from that, thyroid conditions can cause unknown nose and foot problems so you will want to have your vet run a thyroid panel to rule this out. Some people have to go so far as to tattoo the nose to promote healing.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: It seems more serious than just skin "peeling"- i will try bag balm.

Sometimes a wound on the nose can start the ball rolling. Then it just gets worse. I would try the peroxide/neosporin/bag balm routine and see if it helps. If not a vet visit will be needed.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Relist:
just wat to thank you Tammy!
just wanted to thank you Tammy.
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert