Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

stray kitten with pussy eyes

Customer Question
I came home from vacation...
I came home from vacation today to find a baby kitten in my garage, I can't really tell how old he is, but he was skinny so I fed him some soft food that my cats wont eat. He is super friendly and absolutely adorable however he has this green puss coming out of his eyes, and I cleaned it up with a hot wash cloth and it seemed to stay a way for a while then he sneezed and all this green snot came out on my couch. What can I do to help this little guy, I have no money to take him to the vet is there a home rememdy?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Cat
7/6/2005
Cat Vet: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 12 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

Cats often have upper respiratory infections. Because you are seeing green/yellow gunk in the eyes, you need to see the vet for antibiotics so that the cat can recover.

You can wash the eyes with warm saline to remove any gunk in the eye until you can see the vet. There are no over the counter meds that are safe for cats.

If you cannot afford to care for the kitten, you will want to think about surrendering him to your local humane society or spca so that he can get the care that he needs. There is no home remedy for this.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Is this contagious to my other three cats?

Yes. Feline respiratory viruses are contagious to other cats. You need to keep this one isolated until you see the vet. You should also be aware that feline herpes can cause eye problems in cats so you will want to have the vet check this out. While it is contagious to cats, it is not contagious to people.

Does this help more?

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I have isolated him, although it was not easy he craves attention, he has however had interaction with my other two cats but has not gotten close enough to them yet because they swatted him away. This infection has not decreased his lust for food or his craving to cuddle and play. How can it be spread from cat to cat, and can a dog catch it as well. As you can see I have a zoo, three cats and two dogs and I just want to make sure he does not get anyone else sick and i can help him get well. So I can find him a good home

Upper respiratory issues are usually viral in nature. Because of this, it can spread from cat to cat like viruses do in people. It is not typically contagious to dogs.

Viral illnesses that show snotty eyes in cats can also be attributed to herpes type viruses, much like herpes in people. It is not contagious to people or dogs but is contagious to cats.

Understand?

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: So my cats may have been infected already? I appreciate your help, I was just trying to help a stray and now I have my hands full with more then I can handle at the moment. Should I bring all three into the vet or wait to see if my cats start with the symptons?

I would take the first one and get treatment and discuss how long you need isolate the cat with the vet.

If you start to see symptoms with the other cat, you can call the vet and most vets will prescribe over the phone based on the findings with the first cat.

Your cats, if they have been well vaccinated, might have some immunities and never develop the disease. It's hard to say.

Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert