Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Black stuff around Cats Mouth

Customer Question
I have a male cat...
I have a male cat, about 5 years old who drools when he's happy. I noticed that the area around his mouth where he drools has a layer of black "grime" for lack of a better word. It goes out both sides of his mouth and in the fur around and under his chin. What might it be?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2005
Cat Vet: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 12 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
It sounds like your pet might be suffering from feline acne.

The current favorite topical treatment for feline acne among some veterinarians is 2% mupirocin (Bactroban Rx) ointment, used twice a day for three weeks. A published study on this treatment indicated excellent success in 60% of the cats treated, good success in 36% and one cat that developed an allergic reaction to the medication and had to be dropped from the study, making the failure rate 4%.

When feline acne does not respond to topical treatment, there are a couple of things to consider. The first one is whether or not it really is feline acne, or if it is one of the conditions that can mimic feline acne, such as ringworm, contact allergies, food allergies, yeast infections or demodectic mange.

If this is feline acne and topical treatment isn't working, the best approach is to culture one of the pustules and then choose an oral or systemic antibiotic based on the culture and sensitivity results. If this isn't successful, then it may be helpful to try isotretinoin (Accutane Rx). One of the recommended
dosage schedules for this medication is 10mg per cat once a day, which is convenient because the medication comes in a 10mg capsule. An alternative is to continue to pursue the diagnostic process and consider a skin biopsy. This can be helpful in differentiating deep acne lesions (furunculosis) from
other infectious/inflammatory conditions and that can help in determining the best treatment.

source

You should also evaluate the food bowls and water dishes. Some cats have allergic reactions to metal bowls and you will see lesions that look like acne but are not. If the bowls are not cleaned well, it also might be a bacterial problem.

Your vet can quickly diagnose this for you and discuss your treatment options.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: There are no pustules or inflammation present...and I don't use metal bowls either.

This is soft black "grit/grime." I can use my finger nail and scrape it off. It is on his lips and in his fur around his mouth.

Your answer is unrelated to my cat's problem. Please let me know what his problem could really be...without charging me more money. I already hunted all over the internet and didn't find anything relevant...that's why I paid for an answer here.

Any more suggestions??

This does sound like feline acne. Sometimes there aren't any pustules just black grainy/sticky stuff around the lips that scrapes off easily - sort of like blackheads gone wild. You can try cleaning it up with alcohol at home - sometimes that is enough to help if there is no other inflammation or pustules. Calendula gel is a good antimicrobial and skin healing promoter. Plastic bowls can cause a contact dermatitis also, but this sounds more like acne.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thank you for your help. You are describing it perfectly this time. I'm not sure how happy he will be if I try to put alcohol near his mouth to clean it off... but I'll try.
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert