Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a 2 week old meat turkey that suddenly couldn't walk…

Customer Question
Hi.... I have a...

Hi.... I have a 2 week old white meat turkey that suddenly couldn't walk anymore. Both knees are swollen and look to be bruised. The bird is breathing heavy and it was shaking. I placed it under the light thinking it got chilled but it decided it was too warm under it. Now I have it in the house. Its drinking and eating fine. I added vitamins too the water and I am giving meal worms as a protein booster. I have also been feeding it arnica for the swelling. It sits in a sling a couple times a day too give its legs a break. It wont at each them out and they shake when it's in the sling. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. And it's the same in both legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

It a meat turkey.... Haha it doesnt have one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Its had both vaccinations. And it's the only one out of 25 with problems. I do only feed chicken starter since the town we live in doesnt have turkey starter that is non medicated. I also feed a lot of fresh lettuce and other veggies and fruit.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Bird
5/25/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Leah Hill, Avian Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Leah Hill
Dr. Leah Hill, Avian Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr Hill. Could you attach a photo of the legs for me using the paperclip icon? thanks