Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My sisters dog pulled my cocktail tail feathers and now she…

Customer Question
My sisters dog pulled...

My sisters dog pulled my cocktail tail feathers and now she is on the bottom of the cage and shaking tremendously. I don’t know what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Freddy and she is maybe 4-5 years old human years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Freddy?

She won’t let anyone near her and it looks like she is panting

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
4/3/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The most important thing to do at this time is to combat stress and shock and that's done by sequestering Freddy in a quiet, darkened, unlikely to be disturbed area heated up to 85F which can be done by wrapping a heating pad set on its lowest setting around the base of her cage. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hello Freddy is trying to climb up the cage now and he can’t.. will he be able to climb soon or will he be sitting at the floor of the cage
Thank you

We have to be patient with her and give her time to normalize. As long as her wings and legs are intact she should be able to climb normally in time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.