Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

The left bottom part of my cockatoos neck is swollen, Max…

Customer Question
The left bottom part...

The left bottom part of my cockatoos neck is swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your bird's name and age?

Max he's 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

He has a sissor beak

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird
4/1/2018
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 2 months ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 40 years of experience keeping birds. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.How long has Max's neck been swollen?Is he eating normally?Is the scissors beak something new, or has it always been that way?Thank you.
I just noticed the swellewing today he has been eating fine , playing and talking
He has always had a sissor beak he goes in every 4 months to get a trim
He did hit the side of his cage hard trying to bite my husband 2 days ago
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on some information for you now and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for waiting. While of course it's possible that Max injured himself, whenever we see swelling in this area, we suspect a problem with the bird's crop (where food passes through on the way to the stomach). However, there are many different types of crop conditions that could be causing this. If there's an infection of the crop, antibiotics would be needed. An impaction may need to be removed surgically. You can try massaging the crop. Sometimes that can get things moving again. To do that, you would have to hold Max with his head down so that he wouldn't aspirate anything that comes up. Some people are comfortable doing this, but I don't personally recommend it because of the risks.

There is also a condition called sour crop that would require medical treatment. A drug called Nystatin is often prescribed. Because there are so many possibilities, you'll really need a vet to diagnose this. There are many home remedies available online, but I can't recommend them because most are ineffective, and some are downright dangerous. Sometimes it helps to withhold all food for 24 hours, but provide plenty of water. Since it would be hard to find a vet today, you may want to try this. This site has directories that will help you find an avian vet:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

If you have more questions, just let me know. I'm glad to help. I hope Max will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent 5 star service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service after you have all the information you need. I will greatly appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you!

Here is a site where you can read more about a bird's crop.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_(anatomy)

And on problems:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/crop-infections-in-birds

Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 1 month ago
Hello again. I'm just checking to see how Max is doing. I hope you were able to solve the problem, and he is doing well now.Anna