Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

He is pooping water and not wanting to get up and walk

Customer Question
He is pooping water...

He is pooping water and not wanting to get up and walk around and not eating this just started yesterday I was told he might have a blockage to give him some mineral oil but I don't know how much to give him would this be a good idea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he will be a year old this June

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Landon?

When he tries to get up and walk he falls on his chest with his wings straight out and now he is starting to shake every now and again and he acts like there's something caught in his throat but I've looked in his throat and stuff and there's nothing there I can send a video if you like

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Bird
3/31/2018
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 24 days ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

What kind of bird are you talking about? Where are you located?

How old is this bird and what has his typical diet been?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It's a 9 month old goose or I should take Gander I live in Bakersfield California and his typical diet has been grass scratch lay pellets dried mealworms and that's about it
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
But I just noticed his poop is not clear it is bright green

Thank you for the additional information. Give me a few minutes to respond ok? If you haven't administered the mineral oil, please do NOT give it. Just hang in there a bit for me to type

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No i haven't gave him anything but water

The symptoms you’re seeing in your bird aren’t specific to any one disease or disorder which makes it impossible to pinpoint what’s exactly wrong. This said, one of the most often found conditions are Mycotoxicoses disease stemming from food sources contaminated with mycotoxins.

Mycotoxins, and the most prevalent source of mycotoxin contamination for geese is mouldy feedstuffs. Diagnosis of Mycotoxicoses can be very complex since hundreds of mycotoxins have been identified.

However, knowing what the geese are being fed, the source, the symptoms the geese are exhibiting and whether or not other livestock or poultry being fed the same feedstuffs are showing similar symptoms, will allow diagnosis of the problem and identification of the source(s) of the mycotoxin.
------------

There are also a number of bacterial infections that may be behind this and let’s not rule out parasitic infection.

Because we just can’t know without doing lab work and a hands on exam, it’s important to get your bird to a vet who sees farm animals. Most vets for farm animals make house calls and you can find out where to go or who to call by getting in touch with just about any local vet and asking who they recommend.

Also call your local 4-H club chapter - they are a great source for locating proper veterinary care for farm animals.

Until then, here’s what you can do right now and at home:

Get her into a safe, comfortable container like a large pet carrier/crate or even large plastic bin with holes cut along the sides and into the top of the bin

Line the enclosure with soft, clean, old sheets or towels and put a heating pad underneath half of the bottom (not on the inside of the enclosure, on the outside) and turn it on Medium. Your goose should be able to move away from the heated area if it’s too warm.

Provide a shallow dish of fresh water and offer a mash of starter food if she seems interested, but do not force it. If he's not drinking at all, try dribbling water at the sides of his beak. Some should get in. Do this every half hour or so - but this is a hard call, if he stresses too much with this, you may want to leave him alone and let him rest. Only you can gauge what to do. Only you know your bird really well.

Getting to a vet within the next 24 hours is essential given that the symptoms have gone this far. Just because you’re seeing symptoms in the last couple of days doesn’t mean this has been going on for just that length of time. Most birds ‘mask’ symptoms for many days or even weeks longer than we know about. They are experts at it - they’ve had 65 million years to perfect it.

This is really all you can do. Hopefully it’s something simple and it’s early enough to get your bird on the appropriate meds to bring her back to her usual self in no time.

Please let me know how it turns out, ok?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank u for that info that was very. Helpful what kind of. Antibiotics do you give a goose he is still drinking lots of water and because he don't get around too good I gave him a lukewarm bath to rinse him off and he seem to like that
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
What would be the cause of the things you mentioned

Causations run the gamut of food contamination by mold or bacteria; psittacosis from eating something while foraging on the ground; unclean water and so much more it's hard to list. Sometimes it's something picked up from another animal, transmitted from either one on one contact or coming into contact with feces

There are multiple treatments that depend on what we find. Is it gram positive or gram negative bacteria? Is it bacteria at all? Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. If this is fungal, parasitical or disease related, antibiotics can actually make things worse and hasten death, which is why getting an accurate diagnosis is so important. For fungal, parasitical and disease the medical treatment is widely varied, again depending on the specific source of causation

I love that you're keeping him comfortable, which is really all you can do until he's diagnosed. With early intervention we more often see a good outcome - so believe me, you've done all the right things. The only thing left is the vet in order to get the cause pinpointed and appropriate meds administered.

I truly want to know how things go and what they find so please check back. Even after you rate our conversation here you can re open and follow up all you need. I'm here for you

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I dont have the money for a vet I'm a single mom with very little income I called a couple vet and it'll be at least 120 just to be seen I don't have that kind of money
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
He trys to eat but it dont se to go down lik these bloking
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 23 days ago

I don't know what to do either. If you were anywhere near the Sacramento area I could help you personally, but I don't know of anyone in your area (many vets know me and will see animals on my guarantee)

Please just tell the vet your situation and promise them regular payments or better yet, 'auto withdrawals' which pretty much guarantee they'll be paid.

Again, get in touch with the local 4H chapter --- there's no time to lose --- they should be able to help

American Animal Hospital Association
www.aahahelpingpets.org/home
Helps with veterinary care for owners experiencing financial hardship.

Animals Best Friends
https://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

Angels 4 Animals
www.angels4animals.org
Services range from financial aid to complete treatment to those pets and pet owners in need.

Care Credit
www.carecredit.com
This place approves just about everyone for health care financing, including veterinary care.

God's Creatures Ministry
www.all-creatures.org/gcm/help-cf.html
Fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help.

Help-A-Pet
www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
Efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the working poor.

IMOM
www.imom.org

The Pet Fund
http://thepetfund.com
A nonprofit association that provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need urgent veterinary care.

Ask your local Humane Society and/or ASPCA for help; and don’t forget to contact your local pet stores. Oftentimes they have rescue orgs working out of them or with them and can offer you a list of numbers to call.

Someone should have options in place for kind hearted people like you doing the right thing

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you so much I did not know that there was other places like that that would help I had been down to a couple of vet offices and they had told me no or that they didn't specialize in Birds but thank you I will try this places

I understand exactly where you are - and how hard it is. Unless one has lived through it, no one really understands.

A suggestion: Having something like this happen to me once (with a small bird) and enduring a not so good outcome because no one would see him, I made an envelope for my next bird. Every week I put $5 into that envelope. Well, some weeks it was only $3, but the whole point was to never miss putting something in it every single week, like my life depended upon it.

And the hard and fast rule was to 'never, ever take anything OUT of the envelope"

Not only did this work like magic, but I was able to bring my bird to the vet twice a year just for check ups! The vet became not only my friend, but a mentor and now, just a few decades later, here I am, a certified avian specialist and the owner of a large parrot rescue specializing in special needs, broken birds.

The point is that you will get through not only your crises with your goose, but having to live without a lot of wiggle room. Just keep your mind open, say yes to new opportunities to learn and when something is right in front of you - do it. It might just be your 'calling'

Please let me know how you make out with your bird. You have my prayers.

Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 21 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS