Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

He looks wet. But he doesnt feel wet. He keeps tryibg to dry…

Customer Question
Hi he looks wet ...

Hi he looks wet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

But he doesnt feel wet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

He keeps tryibg to dry himself off and his feathers are all ruffled up. Seems like he cnt fly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes his feathers are extremely ruffled up like if he just dunked himself in water. Hes acting very weird. Has been in his cage for two days

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird eating normally?

Hes eating but im really worried

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Hes eating his treats and just ate a little bit but nt like his usual apetite

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/30/2018
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 3 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue

(please ignore site offers for phone svc)

By the time a bird is noticeably ill, chances are that the problem has been brewing for some time. Birds are among the most masterful at hiding illness, weakness or injury because just one mistake in the wild and their life could be over.
---
You aren’t the only they can confuse: A bird may show their weakness, illness and lack of energy one moment, even for a few hours or days - and then “suddenly” seem to be fine. This is their getting a second wind. Finding the strength to ‘mask’ the illness or problem. And since this masking can continue for a while, the underlying issue is only getting worse. The next time you see the bird acting ‘off’, it might be really, really bad.
---
If your bird is acting ‘off’, no matter what – no matter when, they need to be seen by their vet. Infections and disease are far more successfully and inexpensively treated when tackled early. Unlike mammals, avians don’t fare well with a “watch and wait” protocol.
---

Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.
---
If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
---
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.

---First things first: Get the bird in a safe, enclosed, secure environment where movement is limited for their own safety and comfort. You'll want a brooder box. This is a sort of ‘intensive care unit' at home.
---
For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under one half of the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
---
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low.
---
You must be on your way to professional care. Not even I have a lab at home complete with X-ray machine, CT Scanner or MRI and it won’t be doing justice to your companion to try to fix this yourself.
---

I wish you all the best and God bless,

Thank u