Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

We have a female call duck that is a pet. She is about 7…

Customer Question
We have a female...

We have a female call duck that is a pet. She is about 7 months old. She has become very lethargic over the last 24 hours. She appears to be eating and drinking. She is not thin. She has stopped washing her face though and has some crusty matter around her eyes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name?

Her name is Zhara.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zhara?

Her sister just started laying eggs this week. We do not think that Zhara has played any yet. They are together all the time though and we are not 100% sure that it was her sister that laid the eggs.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
3/29/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Zhara is not feeling well.

Given the symptoms that you are describing: lethargy, crusty debris around her eyes, lack of grooming - I'm concerned that she is experiencing an infection or other illness.

In ducks, upper respiratory infections and parasites can cause he symptoms that you are describing. I recommend having her seen by either a farm animal or exotic veterinarian that has experience with birds.

Ok. So nothing I can try at home? Given that we are going into a long weekend and all offices in my area are closed for the next 4 days.