Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Bloody granular like stool. age not known ,but think senior.

Customer Question
Bloody granular like stool...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Magoo, Senior not sure,I have had him for 10 years. came to me with back injury from abuse. needs help pooping. But has been doing great for years. I give him probioctics every day. i haven't needed flagyl since starting it 3 years ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Magoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Magoo?

Not that I can think of at the moment. His stool is quite watery with ample blood

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
3/30/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Which type of bird is Magoo, please?

It's important to note that once a pet bird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Magoo's symptoms are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Magoo's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well.

Until Magoo can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

It's important to clarify if Magoo's droppings are diarrheic (unformed fecal portion of the droppings) or, instead, you're seeing polyuria (increased volume of urine). Can you remove the paper in the cage and then take a photo of it which you can then upload to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

When frank blood is found in the droppings in a male bird, cloacal disease in the form of internal papilloma disease, cloacoliths (stones in the vent), cloacitis (inflammation/infection of the vent), cloacal neoplasia, cloacal prolapse, and severe enteritis are considered.

There are quite a few differentials for diarrhea. They include...

enteritis (intestinal inflammation) due to bacterial, fungal, viral infections; toxins

intestinal parasites (helminths/flukes, worms; protozoa)

proventricular dilatation disease (PDD)

avian bornavirus (which can become PDD)

chlamydiosis

Macrorhabdus (previously known as megabacteria or avian gastric yeast) - most commonly recognized in parakeets but diagnosed in most species

liver disease

zinc and lead poisoning

intestinal foreign body

change in diet

The differential list for polyuria is quite different. It includes...

renal disease

diabetes mellitus and insipidus

liver and pancreatic disease

hyperadrenocorticism (rare)

heavy metal toxicosis

"phosphate flush" due to an all seed diet (not the case here)

pituitary adenoma in parakeets

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your care and concern.
I have made a appointment with my avian vet.
Maureen

You're quite welcome, Maureen. I'm pleased to hear this. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin