Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My 15 week old silver laced Wydotte pullet which just

Customer Question
My 15 week old...

My 15 week old silver laced Wydotte pullet which just arrived 10 days ago from Murry McMurry hatchery won't stand up..started today...she's eating drinking ok..brought her inside have vitamins in water...her legs seemed splayed when she tries to stand...Maerk's? They were vaccinated at hatchery

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Kate

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kate?

She and 3 other pullets I received were walking around in the cold snow...nothing else

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
3/23/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Kate. Marek's is an important consideration unless she suffered considerable injury to her hips or spine. It's important to recognize that the vaccine for Marek's can't prevent infection but can reduce morbidity (severity of signs). Please review this synopsis and let me know if you're seeing any other signs of Marek's: http://www.birdhealth.com.au/mareks-disease

Her eyes do appear gray...her legs are outstretched exactly like picture in article..just noticed this am Rhode Island Red walking strange also! The 3 have been isolated but only about a foot away from my healthy flock of 7, all year old(not in same coop) can they be affected? I’ve only had about ten days from McMurry...do I call them? Thanks ..I’m now very upset!

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, the hatchery needs to know that they have a problem...a major problem. Yes, all of your birds have already been exposed. Some may become ill and all will remain carriers. Regretfully, there's no treatment and any new birds added to your flock will need to be vaccinated in ovo or at one day of age although as you now know, vaccination isn't completely protective. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin