Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Swollen belly she a rouen duck! She's 3 /4 years old please…

Customer Question
Swollen belly she a...

Swollen belly she a rouen duck! She's 3 /4 years old please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Baby girl

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Baby?

No should I bring her in put in warm bath tub

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's eating drinking ,she got large belly hang, husband felt belly very soft
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/16/2018
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 1 month ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with over 20 years of experience keeping ducks. I'm reviewing your question now,mand will be right back.
I'm sorry to hear about Baby Girl's problem. There are a number of conditions that could cause this type of swelling, but let's see if we can narrow it down with some additional information.Has she been having normal bowel movements?Does she lay eggs? If so, when did she last lay one?Does she free range outdoors? If so, is it possible she might have eaten something she shouldn't?Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I'm not sure on bowel movement, we have a sister with her.They do lay, but only maybe two I the past month.Once again I'm not sure if its hers or her sisters.
As far as free range yes, but lately I've keep them locked in the pen area, (I seen Swiper the Fox ) so very limited on this roaming.O noticed this probably 5 days ago , My husband checked her said she's fine.Not !!! He notice tonight belly swollen soft tho
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's stumbles also every once and awhile
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I put her in warm bathtub in the house
Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I would give her a warm bath. Regardless of what is wrong, that can't hurt anything. Since one of the possibilities is being egg bound, be careful when carrying her. If a stuck egg breaks inside, it is a life threatening situation. But warm water can sometimes help with both egg binding and constipation, so give it a try.Please let me know if anything happens during the bath.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll check back here shortly to see if you responded
I did respond. Did you not receive it? It should be right above your last post.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She outside locked up, I probably can't do it tonight, I need some help over here, I have 4 dogs.Two want to eat them.I will prolly have yo pay again tomorrow correct, or how does this work
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm gonna call my grandson see if he can help.If so how long in tub and how warm temp
No, you can come back tomorrow without paying again. Just keep the link to this question and reply here.I would make the bath about 100*F. Aim for at least 15 minutes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Thank you, ***** ***** do this first thing in the morning and give update, Then go from the there.
100*F is just about body temperature, so it would feel just a little warm to you.I'll watch for your update tomorrow.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok shes in tub , she loves it.I'd say bowels are fine, went 3 times already
That’s good news. Has the swelling gone down at all?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Vd2DHtmYjPz81L43 video
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any thing else I can do for her
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does she normally open mouth to take in air.,To quack
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's acting fine swimming and flapping wings , h2o everywhere
The video won’t open for me. It’s normal for them to open their mouth to quack, but not to breathe. If she is opening her mouth to breathe, that can mean she’s having trouble taking in enough air. It’s possible the swelling is putting some pressure on her lungs. It’s also possible that a heart problem has resulted in fluid accumulation causing the swelling. We have ruled out constipation. A duck with egg binding probably wouldn’t have much energy. So I doubt that is the problem.Without more specific symptoms, there are only two choices. You can continue to give her good care and wait to see what happens. The other option would be to see a vet. The vet could palpate, do blood tests, and/or take x-rays to diagnose what is wrong and treat it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok do you have a Gmail address or massaging, So I can send you photos of her belly and vent
JustAnswer doesn’t allow correspondence off this site. However, you should be able to upload a photo by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Vd2DHtmYjPz81L43 please let me know if you received this
It came through. That’s a very pretty duck. I can tell she’s enjoying herself, but the bloating isn’t visible in the picture.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://photos.app.goo.gl/C823h3dTau11ILwh2.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Above ate photos of her belly, she was just taken out of warm bath
The most recent ones I can't open again.
I tried again and got it this time. I can see the swelling. It looks like it is just below her neck. Is that the case? Is it mostly on the left side of her body?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure her swelling looks like it all of the belly to me. But once again I don't know what to do to help her. Should I put her on Anything? I'm giving her electrolytes in her water.She's out in the hut tonight.She has a fit If separated from her sister.Anything I can purchase thru tractor supply comp ?
Here's the problem. I have no way to know what is causing that swelling, so I can't recommend a product. Using an antibiotic if there's no infection will do more harm than good. She is not constipated. She is showing no sign of egg binding. She's eating and she enjoys her bath. The only symptom is the swelling. That is just a symptom, and not a specific illness. If she were my duck, I would take her to a vet. If you want to try something from TSC, make sure it is safe for ducks. Some medications made for chickens are toxic to ducks. An antibiotic is probably the only thing you can buy there.
I do believe it is most likely that the swelling is fluid. That could be from peritonitis or a reproductive problem. It could be heart related. I wish I could give you a remedy, but this really is a situation for a hands- on vet visit. Since I can't offer you anything else, I'm going to opt out of your question. That will open it to other experts in case someone else may have other ideas.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Thank you
You're welcome. I wish I could do more, but I don't want to recommend something that could do no good or even be harmful. I hope your duck will recover from this.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you check back on this? I will give a update on her. Once again , Thank you
If I opt out, I won't be able to check back. So I'll wait to do that until after you give an update.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great, hang tight, I'm gonna Bath again tomorrow.
Ok. Will do.
How are things going? Has the swelling gone down?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No she acting fine. I bathed her again today.I also checked her bent looked ok no discharged . My husband felt around on her belly soft he said.Nothing hard.I'm gonna do bath again and see what I can do about getting her into a farm vet.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Check back I'll give you a update.Should I put any lubricant around vent or what.All the people I have spoken to think she's egg bound

As I said earlier, we couldn't completely rule out egg binding. Symptoms usually include lethargy, appetite loss, squatting and straining, and droppings stuck to the vent. But those symptoms don't always appear. There are other reproductive problems that can cause swelling of the abdomen.

If you believe she is egg bound, there are a few things you can try, but success is iffy. If the egg is just inside the vent, you can put a little cooking oil or mineral oil in the vent, just barely inside it. This won't do any good if the egg is further up. If you can see an egg don't try to break the egg or pull it out - this can do even more harm.

We usually give some water with a little sugar or Karo syrup in it to keep their strength up, but since your duck is active and eating, that's not necessary.

You can run a hot shower in your bathroom until the room is warm and humid (85 to 90 degrees). You could then place her in the tub. Watch her closely to make sure she doesn't overheat. Sometimes the warmth and humidity may help her pass the egg.

Remember that these home remedies seldom work. They are just a last attempt to help if you absolutely cannot get to a vet. The following site has more information on egg binding in birds of all types:

http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww68eiv.htm

Many farm vets simply recommend euthanizing a duck that is egg bound. You might be better off to seek out an avian vet if your duck is more a pet than livestock. This link will help you find a bird vet:

http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm

At the very least, a vet will be able to tell you if she is egg bound, or if something else is going on. If you have more concerns, just let me know. I hope that whatever this is, the vet will be able to treat it effectively.

Anna

Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 26 days ago
Hi again,Have you been able to get a diagnosis yet?
Anna
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist