Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

She was attacked by a dog. Has some puncture wounds. What…

Customer Question
She was attacked by...

She was attacked by a dog. Has some puncture wounds. What should we put in them?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the bird bleeding a lot?

No.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the bird's name and age?

She’s eating and drinking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Her name is ***** ***** lucky. She is about a year old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
3/17/2018
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 4 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

Hello, I’m wondering how to best care for my chicken. I have cleaned her two wounds with peroxide and neosporin. It seems her wing is also broken. I have her secluded in a warm spot with food and water. I did add electrolytes to her water.

While cat bites or scratches are more serious and more immediately life threatening to a bird, the bacteria in a dog’s mouth and paw nails can cause septicemia (blood borne infection) just as badly.
---
Anti-bacterial for Injury:
---
Carefully rinse the wound with simple saline solution (like you rinse or moisten contact lenses with – not eye drops). Plain, warm water in a gentle stream is fine if no saline solution. Some people recommend ½ hydrogen peroxide and ½ water, but if the site is especially sensitive, this could just irritate the injury more
------------------------

Boric acid solution may be tried in order to control secondary infections: 1 tablespoon boric acid + 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil and then let cool.
------------------------

Applying a light, very thin coat of antibiotic ointment or cream (never a spray), such as Neosporin, may be helpful; however, if your bird is picking the area, ingestion of this med may cause crop upset.
------------------------

The use of hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, should be avoided. These are rather harsh for the tender skin of a bird and only used in special circumstances by veterinarians in treating avians.

---
For a makeshift brooder, use a small box lined with soft clothes like tee shirts.
---
Use a thick, clean sock and fill it ¾ with plain, raw white rice. Knot the end and microwave it for about 1 ½ minutes. Shake it afterwards to distribute the heat and be sure it's not too hot. Tuck this in just under the cloths.
---
A heating pad under the box is also helpful, set on low. This is one of the few times I’d ever use both heat sources if necessary to maintain incubation temp (90-105 degrees).
---
If ever using an electric source for heating anything in anyway, please be vigilant and constantly double checking carefully.
---
Gently drape a light cover over this box to further help hold heat in and keep light low
---
This bird must be seen by a vet in order to get an appropriate antibiotic injection. Not an oral administration, an injection of a prescribed medicine. It must be done no matter how well the bird seems to be doing.

Good luck. I'd really like to know how you make out, ok?