Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Found my 6 year old quaker parrot weak, off balance and

Customer Question
Found my 6 year...

Found my 6 year old quaker parrot weak, off balance and unable to fly. no apparent injury although he is in an aviary with one other bird.he won't accept food or water.he was fine 12 hrs ago . he stool is watery cream coloured. any suggestions? Mike

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Tigger and 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?

He is currently isolated and under small heat lamp

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
3/14/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Mike, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to note that once a parrot acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Tigger's symptoms of weakness, ataxia "drunken sailor", anorexia, and diarrhea (or polyuria/increased volume of urine) are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They're signs of “sick bird syndrome” - acute onset illness that is represented by an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Tigger's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well.

Until Tigger can be attended to, please continue to heat up his environment to 85F (29.4C) by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Because he's weaknened, remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Tigger's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.