Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My bird is bleeding from her rectum

Customer Question
Hello my bird is...

Hello my bird is bleeding from her rectum

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird
3/13/2018
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 1 month ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Please tell me what kind of bird this is and how long it's been going on. Is it bright red blood, dark red or close to black in color? As many specifics and details you can provide will be quite helpful.

Is this a female?

Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve been told it’s a girl she’s 20 years old. It started out as dark red blood and I’m seeing regular red blood I could send you a picture of her bottom. I found blood it was dried on the Kieth today and I fed her yesterday and I’m not sure what’s going on

Is this poultry or a parrot or something else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s a cockatoo

OK - so female 'too that has been bleeding for a few days? Is there something protruding from her vent - something that might look like a hemorrhoid?

Has she been an egg layer?

How about anything different about her food or toys or new in the house, like new carpet, carpet cleaning products, room fresheners, etc?

Use of teflon cooking tools, pots, pans? Self cleaning oven? New toaster or toaster oven? Even hair dryer ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can send you an image of her vent to show you what’s going on Her food and toys are at the saying we have no carpets no room fresheners etc. We are very organic we are very organicShe has never Laid and egg. Nothing really has changed. I am afraid what’s going on

I can hear your frustration - and I know, believe me I know, how you want this fixed a day ago. I am going to try to help you figure it out or at least administer supportive care - so please try to stay calm in the face of this stress and tell me everything you can.

First, good, I like hearing how organic you are - this helps a lot! Now, talk to me about food. Remember, specifics

And yes, please go ahead and send a pic

I'm here. We're having a storm and my service failed. I'm back up - let me have a few minutes to look at pic

This is the last thing I want to say to you: This is beyond a home option and she absolutely needs to be seen by a vet who specializes in birds (not just happens to see birds now and then)

There are far too many possibilities that could cause this and getting a correct, hands on diagnosis is essential.

At the top of the possibilities are an obstruction, tumor or perforation in the gut. AT first I suspected a cloaca prolapse: The cloaca is also known as the vent in a bird, the opening from which both feces and urine exit the bird. In males it is also where the delivery tube (epididymis) for sperm from the vas deferens meets with the female’s cloaca which receives it for fertilization of her ovum.
---
Cloacal prolapse is when the inside of the bird pushes out. In some cases it’s noted as a ‘red bottom’ or some owners will describe it as a ‘hemorrhoid’ – in other cases it’s unmistakably an emergency situation. In all cases it requires urgent veterinary intervention. The cloaca must be replaced (this is an organ and not supposed to be on the outside).
---
Most often it’s seen in females attempting to lay an egg or suffering Dystocia. Dystocia is the obstruction of oviposition or cloacal function because of an egg in the distal oviduct.
---
Cloacal prolapse can also be caused by parasites or tumors, even nutritional problems.
---
It’s not just vital to get the organ replaced (put back into the body), but figuring out why it happened to begin with is important or it will likely just keep happening, weakening the bird and the organ each time.
---
Expect (or insist upon) a blood chemistry, X-rays and fecal exam .
---
Sometimes surgery will be necessary to prevent it from happening again. A stitch called a ‘purse string suture’ is performed at the vent area to hold it in. This isn’t a ‘sure thing’ though and the bird needs to be monitored carefully, fed ideally for the species (in all birds a mostly pelleted diet is recommended) . When the prolapse recurs, surgical de-sexing, a very complicated and admittedly dangerous surgery, may be the only option.
---
In just about every case though, no matter what the treatment is, an antibiotic is necessary in conjunction with it.

Since I'm not seeing the typical 'hemorrhoid' appearance I'm not sure if this is it (still could be)

--------------

Offer your bird extra water after a bout with bleeding of any amount. Children’s Pedialyte is also a good fluid choice. You can try plain sugar water too. Mix in 1-2 tablespoons of real sugar, no substitutes no matter what they claim, into a cup of water. Another well tolerated fluid is apple or grape juice, mixed ½ and ½ with water. Mash up some melon or try some applesauce, juice mixed with mashed banana - anything your companion will try in order to replace bodily fluid and sugar levels after bleeding.

Sticking with all natural options is best and of course a vet will be able to do more in the way of IV fluid replacement, antibiotics and even oxygen if necessary.

-------------

I'd like to see your bird off seeds altogether for overall health once you get this resolved. Today's pelleted diets are far superior and if you look at the ingredients you should find all the good things you would want for her.

We can talk about that later though. Right now all I can do is ask you to please get her seen as soon as you can.

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS