Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I've an 2-3 years old male eclectus parrot, we adopted him 6…

Hello, i've an 2-3...

Hello, i've an 2-3 years old male eclectus parrot, we adopted him 6 months ago. Nowadays he's got black feathers. i think due to the diet problem because we adores nuts and seeds, instead of eating his fruits&veggies he insists of eating nuts and sees. For 5 days i only give him fruit&veggie mix. He eats them. And also for 10 days we itches his beak and neck, rubs his face. This morning his urine was a little yellow colored. Black feathers, itchy beak and yellow urine are the cause of liver problem?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Azur

3/13/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Azure. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I'm also sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply. Experts familiar with birds are uncommon.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, to start with, I want to let you know you are on the right track. A diet of nuts and seeds will work for a while for an eclectus, but is certain to eventually lead to problems like black feathers and, if carried on long enough, liver problems.

I'm so sorry you're facing this difficult situation, but glad you're going to do what you can to help him.

It's also important for me to let you know if will take several months of feeding him a healthy diet before his feathers will change. We have to wait for the old feathers to fall out and be replaced by new ones that developed while he was on a healthy diet.

Additionally, he may temporarily produce yellow urates in his droppings as he transitions from the seed diet to a healthy diet. This doesn't necessarily mean permanent liver damage.

Thank you for sending your photos. He's still a beautiful bird!

Please let me know how else I can help you . Thank you for using our website.

I'm sure you've probably already found some good resources, but this is my favorite website for eclectus care. Here's their recommended nutrition page.

http://www.eclectusparrotbreeders.com/eclectus-dietary-info.html

Is this helpful information for you? I want to do my best to help you get the information you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your relaxing reply. For his itchy beak and rubbing his neck and face; will all these reactions be ended for the healthy diet also? i've checked his feathers and skin deeply, there aren't any mites or bugs.
And also frequency of urine and defecations of him started to increase for 5 days by feeding him with only fruit&veggie mix. Is it also normal?Thanks :)

The itchy beak and face rubbing is most likely simply the result of him cleaning himself. This new, healthier food is messy and it gets on his feathers and beak, so he has to clean them. The only way to get mites is from another bird with mites. I wouldn't be inclined to worry about this.

Yes, you will see big change in his droppings because of the extra liquid and fiber in his new, healthier diet. Normal eclectus droppings are pretty wet and messy.

It sounds like you're on the right track for Azur. Good work!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much!

I'm glad I could help.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also can i ask something for last. Nowadays he's generally suddenly gets fluffy and shakes himself many times during a day.Also occasionally shakes his tail after shakes himself.these suddenly shakings are normal nowadays?Best,

Sorry for my delay. I was away from the computer for a bit. On the one hand, spending a lot of time sitting and doing nothing other than being fluffed and trembling is a sign there's something wrong. It's what a bird does to conserve heat and energy when it is otherwise stressed.

But on the other hand, getting fluffy and shaking out his feathers several times a day in an action that only lasts for a minute or less is normal, active grooming and preening for a bird. This could be normal for him.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help again,Have a nice day

You're very welcome. I'm happy to help, and so glad to hear Azur is on a path to better nutrition.

Thank you for using our website.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, thanks for your follow up. He eats his fruit&veggie mix hungrily. I decreased the seed amount very much. Now he looks happy with his diet. I'm looking forward to seeing his green shiny feathers again :)
But i remarked that for 2-3 days after that diet, his feathers get very soft.
His feces is browned color nowadays, his urine is sometimes a little yellow and sometimes pure transparent color.
His activities and playings are normal.

Thank you for your reply and follow up. I'm so glad to hear Azur is enjoying his new diet. Regarding the feathers, please keep in mind that it will take up to a year for all the feathers to be replaced with new ones that he's grown while on the better diet. Things will continue to improve.

Thank you for taking such good care of him. Cheers!

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo