Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

HY, my 4 weeks old emu chicks can't walk. What's happened?

Customer Question
HY, my 4 weeks...

HY, my 4 weeks old emu chicks can't walk. What's happened? Feed? Proteins? Vitamin D3? Disease?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, they haven't. 4 chiks, one by one don't walk.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the bird's name?

Emu chicks. 4 weeks old. First they limp, now they don't want to stand and walk.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

They eat feed for ostrich - starter, 17% protein level.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 day by:
3/12/2018
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Greetings. I’m terribly sorry to hear about your emu chicks. There can be multiple causes for lameness or an inability to walk in juvenile birds. Common causes include nutritional deficiencies such as calcium, birth defects, abnormal growth problems due to improper surfaces in their enclosures, bacterial infections or even bumble foot or ulcers on their feet.Could you please provide me with some further information on your housing setup, husbandry and diet please? Any information you provide will help me to give you the most practical and useful advice and recommendations as possible.1. What type of enclosure do they live in?2. Whatvtype of substrate or bedding do you provide? How often is it cleaned?3. I saw you provide ostrich starter diet for food. Do you supplement with anything else?4. Donyou provide heat and/or UV-B lights?5. What temperature do you keep your enclosure at?I look ok forward to hearing back from you.Dr. Adamski