Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have 2 parakeets, they won't stop eating their poop. I…

Customer Question
I have 2 parakeets...

I have 2 parakeets, they won't stop eating their poop. I have put a mineral block in there cage, I've changed there food. I don't know what else to do. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Sammy and Georgie and they are 3 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sammy?

No not really. They are fine, and active nothing else is wrong.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
3/9/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The causes of coprophagia (stool eating) are unclear but nutritional deficiencies are a likely cause in "seed junky" parakeets. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Sammy's and Georgie's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of their diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.