Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My African Grey is about 13 yrs old and has been eating

Customer Question
My African Grey is...

My African Grey is about 13 yrs old and has been eating quality Pretty Bird pellets since I got her as a baby with no issues. within the last month he has been kicking the pellets out of his dish. He generally would dip pellets into his clean water to soften before eating. I often put banana chips or fresh or dried mango or other pieces into another dish. He continues to eat those items but insist on kicking the pellets to the floor making a big mess. Can you please tell me what could be going on ???

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the matter with your bird?

Yes, what is the matter with him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bird seem to hurt?

He doesn't show that he is hurt or hurting ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the bird's name?

Jailbird.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jailbird?

He seems happy other than crazily knocking his pellets out of the dish. I am wondering if anything could be wrong with the pellets.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird
3/9/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I agree with you. I would test your hypothesis by discarding the pellets you currently have and purchasing new ones making sure that they have a different lot number and haven't passed their expiration date. You might also try a different pellet altogether such as those available here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian