Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My very lovebird went from chirpy amd playful to very

Customer Question
My very young lovebird...

My very young lovebird went from chirpy amd playful to very lethargic, sleepy, amd stumbly on the cage floor. Iv turned on the space heater and placed a warm bag of uncooked rice in the cage which he immediately curled up against

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. What is the bird's name and age?

Keetchee, amd 8 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Keetchee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keetchee?

Last night before sleeping it seemed to have sporadic brief shivers

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
His breathing appears shallow and now and again he makes gentle chirps
3/8/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Keetchee, please?

It's important to note that once a lovebird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Keetche's symptoms of lethargy, somnolence, and ataxia ("stumbly") and are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They're signs of "sick bird syndrome" - a combination of nonspecific signs of illness. Shallow breathing is particularly worrisome as it can indicate life-threatening disorders.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental oxygen, fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Keetche's choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well.

Until he can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F (29.4C) by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Keetche's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.