Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

He is a budgie. He is constipated. His diet is greens,

Customer Question
Hi. He is a...

Hi. He is a budgie. He is constipated. His diet is greens, fruits and veggies, pellets, and a little seed. We are trying to see what to give him to help with what appears to be a digestive issue.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Woodstock. and He is 2-3 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Woodstock?

He is over weight.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
3/8/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. What are you seeing that you're describing as constipation, please? Are Woodstock's droppings normal, diarrheic, or showing excessive urine? Constipation isn't common unless a foreign body is obstructing the gastrointestinal tract.

Droppings are on the harder side. Normal in color. They stick to his vent. Abdomen seems swollen and backed up.
He’s happy and doesn’t seem distressed

Thank you for the additional information. His droppings appear normal but I'm concerned that his abdomen appears distended which is too often due to neoplasia (cancer) of the kidney or testicle in these budgies. Woodstock needs to be examined hands-on by an avian vet (www.aav.org) who can palpate (feel) his coelom ("abdomen") and clarify if it's distended with fluid, cancer, feces (uncommon), or some combination of these. X-rays may be needed to clarify this.

His diet is excellent. Regretfully, caretakers are constrained by how much they can do for their birds without the aid of a vet. The FDA has pulled all over the counter antibiotics designed for pet birds. Symptomatic treatment for constipation can be done with mineral oil but that's done by crop gavage or mixed with peanut butter in a ratio of one part mineral oil to two parts peanut butter. We don't know if Woodstock is truly constipated, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciate. Thanks for the links so we can find a local vet. General vets tend not to know much when it comes to birds.
Meaning that just taking him to a regular vet wouldn’t be beneficial

You're quite welcome. Yes, it's unlikely that a general vet would even look at Woodstock. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Ok. Thank you

It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin