Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

She is real skinny and has real water like poop she

Customer Question
She is real skinny...

She is real skinny and has real water like poop she sometimes acts groggy before this she lost a lot of feathers

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** was born blind she lives in the house with me she is two years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Molly?

She is eating and drinking but it isn't helping with her weight loss

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
3/7/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Which type of bird is Molly, please? Regretfully, her symptoms indicate a critically ill bird of any species.

She is a chicken

Thank you. Her cachexia (wasting), diarrhea, weakness ("acting groggy"), and feather loss can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of such a presentation, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Necropsy of a newly dead or a sacrificed severely ill bird then refrigerated (not frozen) can be an important diagnostic particularly in large flocks. Should you have such a flock, your best course of action might be to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in that regard.

Regretfully, such a hen rarely can recover and caretakers are restrained to force-feeding (by tubing is best) them a gruel of their pellets as supportive care. The FDA has removed from the over the counter shelves all antibiotics for poultry save tylosin (Tylan-50) which wouldn't be appropriate for Molly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin