Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My male cockatiel Bobby lost her partner Wong Wong on March…

My male cockatiel Bobby...

My male cockatiel Bobby lost her partner Wong Wong on March 2 due to kidney failure and infection. Wong Wong is 5 and half years old and Bobby is 10. Bobby is not eating much for the past few days and his body weight has dropped from 92g to 87g(March7) which worries me. What can I do now to help him grieve? I’m very sad with Wong Wong ‘s passing myself.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

Do I need to take Bobby to see the vet now? They usually need to check blood and X-ray and have to sedate hiim which is very risky too. I really don’t want him to go through this.

How can you be asking for feed back when I haven’t received any answer from your expert? I have paid promptly and still not getting any answer after 24 hours. Wonder how long the wait is for an answer? I’m from Hong Kong and we have avian vet too. I’m seeking for second opinion. Thanks.
Answered in 10 days by:
3/17/2018
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

I just now found your question here - there seems to be a glitch in the site's notifications, so please forgive the delay (I have nothing to do with these things)

Mourning a Mate is very common and real with these birds.

Companionships between birds are very strong and often last a lifetime.

These birds are among the most intelligent in the entire bird kingdom. With this degree of intelligence and as many scientists, researchers and veterinarians are insisting, ‘self awareness’ comes a bigger need for input in their lives. Challenges, new things, even the proverbial ‘space’ or time on their own.

When a bonded pair suddenly becomes separated, whether by the death of one or any other reason that finds one alone, it can actually trigger a mourning process.

This is also known to be a ‘stressor’ - and as we all know, any animal under stress is more susceptible to health problems.

It’s often one of these health problems that leads to the remaining bird actually passing away in some cases - and thus gave rise to the belief of them “dying from a broken heart”.

********************************************

When a bird is suddenly without their companion, no matter what or who that companion was, give them time to grieve the loss. Be sure to pay extra attention to them, talk to him and let him know that you're sad too and that the both of you will get through it together. I know it sounds silly, but just watch how he understands. Ask him how he is every day, hold him, let him spend time with you doing just typical things around the house. His weight loss is worth monitoring, but at this point is not dangerous. Yes, boost his feedings with extra good stuff like a spoon of all natural baby food: sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and most fruits are good choices. Be careful to not leave it out more than a couple hours or it might cause a yeast infection in the bird, but chances are the bird will eat it right up and this won’t be a problem.

Start with about ¼ of a teaspoon to begin with and giving a whole teaspoon if they really like it is fine.

When it’s time to introduce a new bird, do so in a different cage to begin with. In fact, the usual protocol is to isolate any new bird in an entirely different room for up to 45 days; 30 should be safe, to be sure no signs of illness develop and a vet visit is made to be sure the bird is healthy.

Then let the birds learn each other by being in their own territory as neighbors. It’s best to not let them touch at all, but to see you happily interacting with each of them, which teaches them that this is one big happy flock.

By the way, I'm sorry for your loss. He isn't the only one mourning. This is something the two of you should get through together.

August Abbott, CAS

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

August Abbott, CAS