Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a 1 1/2 year old hen that has clear diarrhea, I took…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a 1 1/2 year old hen that has clear diarrhea, I took a sample to the local vet that knows nothing about chickens, but there were no "bugs" in her sample.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the hen?

He is very quite and there is a lot of clear water in the crate she's in to keep here calm. She is drinking a lot which from what I read she is doing an then peeing it out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hen's name?

Sorry I really don't like this computer....Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Goldie?

She's in a flock of 5 others that are not showing symptoms.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 day by:
3/8/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Goldie, please?

We first need to clarify if Goldie suffers from diarrhea or, instead, polyuria (increased vomume of urine) because treatment for one differs from the other. She sounds as if she's polyuric which has many possible causes including renal, heaptic, and pancreatic disease, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, Cushing's disease (rare at her age), and heavy metal toxicosis.

A diarrhea also has many possible causes including enteritis (inflammation of the intestines/bacterial, fungal, viral, toxic), intestinal parasites (apparently ruled out/"no bugs in sample"), liver disease, zinc and lead poisoning, intestinal foreign body, and even respiratory and systemic infectious agents that can also cause diarrhea.

You'll need an avian vet (www.aav.org) to examine and test Goldie. The FDA has removed all over the counter antibiotics designed for poultry save tylosin in the form of injectable Tylan-50 which wouldn't be a first choice antibiotic for a diarrheic hen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for getting back to me
Oh dear that sounds like a lot of symptoms we don't have any Bird vets in the immediate area. The closest is an hour and a 1/2 away .I have her im the house and she still has a lot of fluid with a little bit of tiny bit of Feses in it . When I was cleaning up I saw her I squirt a bunch of liquid out. It was a stream of yellowish green. But looks clear on the floor. I warmed up some of her food mash and see if that might make solids better . I'll see if I can send you a picture and call a large animal vet.

Thank you for the additional information. I understand your logistical constraints. You're not alone in that regard. I'll watch for your next post.

Thank you for your time

You're quite welcome.