Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Why are my turkeys losing hair on their chest, belly area?

Customer Question
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
3/7/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When more than one turkey is losing feathers at this time of year, the prenuptial (spring) molt is the most likely cause. Considerable numbers of feathers can be lost at this time. The feathers should be replaced within 4-10 weeks of the onset of molting. If not and/or your turkeys are self-mutilating their feathers and/or skin, look for external parasites - lice and mites. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Denise,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gilbert, Dollie, And Dixie. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin