Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Seymour is a common cockatiel male,adult inherited by a

Seymour is a common...

Seymour is a common gray cockatiel male,adult inherited by a nursing home when owner died. In last month, behavior has changed. Has defeated in food and water. Makes occasional short squawk. Has been picking at back and feet. Is visited a lot be residents - has been fed people food (discouraged but bird not supervised). In last two days has started shaking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name?

Seymour

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Seymour?

His age is not known , at least 5 or 6 - he does have several toys in his cage, but nothing be in. 6+ mos. Also, was given red and green colored bird seed for Xmas. My other. Half,who is in rehab there, thinks his eyes are duller.

1/19/2018
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

So am I understanding that Seymour is a resident in a nursing home facility?

Is there any one person entrusted with his feeding and care of the cage?

I believe there is one person who is generally in charge, but my 3rd hand understanding is that several people are involved with one usually doing feeding and cleaning.
How can I attach video?

I don't think this site has a video option at this time, just regular photos. But try clicking on the paperclip icon in your menu bar where you type your responses. That might take you to an option. Take your time. I'm here

Lady is my other half of 34 yrs. Bird is Seymour - he seems to make distress squawks.(###) ###-####mp4
Did file upload? Or just name?

I'm sorry, no file, but let me try to work with you based on your descriptions. Actually, you're quite good at painting a clear picture of what's happening.

I suspect a few things could be going on and I want you to feel free to share this with everyone and anyone caring for this sweet bird. It was, in fact, a little cockatiel that led to me starting NorCal Parrot Rescue nearly 2 decades ago now, so I understand how easily these little hearts with feathers can win us over.

First, believe it or not this bird has the cognition of a 3-4 year old human child. That means he understand death, loss, worry, fear and all the good things like love and trust, joy and happiness. When people talk to him like he's 'a person' (albeit a toddler person) he's going to get it. On some level he'll understand.

He's very likely still in mourning or 'worry' over his owner. If no one tells him that owner didn't leave him on purpose, but died; went away without wanting to leave him, etc. - but that now he has a new life and people who will still love him - he's going to 'get it'. You'll be incredibly surprised at the change in his personality soon after this is done and you'll come back to tell me you thought I was nuts, but it worked. I love hearing that.

Next, we have to throw those colored seeds away. In fact, let's aim for less seeds and believe it or not, more people food. Yes, people food is preferred, but wait, there's a catch: Healthy people food. We're talking nothing from fast food joints, no fried anything, nothing chocolate of course, skip the coffee and another big surprise, never give any bird avocado. It's deadly to them. So no guac

With birds like this I generally start with human baby food. A spoon of sweet potatoes, squash, carrots and the dark green foods in the all natural baby food aisle. Just get a bit of it to the underside of the tip of the beak and let him know where it came from and he should go for it. Even if he doesn't, keep trying.

Also try clipping a raw, baby carrot to his cage near his favorite place to be on his perch, hang carrot tops, beet tops, kale, dark green lettuce (spray them with plain water first to get his interest). Even if he doesn't eat them one day, persist. It took me a year of putting carrots in one bird's cage - every way a carrot might be presented (shredded, sliced, diced, cooked, partially cooked, inside out and upside down) and then finally she tried it. And ended up loving it! Now she can't get enough, but for a year she looked at me like I was trying to poison her!.

We want to replace the seeds with a nice, plain pellet food appropriate for 'tiels. I'd prefer the plain, no colors or flavors added type, but honestly, if he wants fruity and colored it's still better than seeds of any kind.

Finally, most importantly, he needs a vet check up. Chances are he needs his toes trimmed and possibly his beak, although beaks rarely need doing on a healthy, properly fed bird.

He also needs 3 kinds of perches in a nice big cage. A rope perch for sleeping (it's like a mattress for their feet) and two different diameter, preferably natural wood perches to encourage healthy feet (they don't perch on a dowel sized branch and only that branch in the wild).

Near his food and water he needs a cuttlefish bone or calcium rock to be able to wipe his beak on and keep it in good shape.

If he's making his droppings in those bowls there's an underlying reason why he's perching on the bowls. Hopefully the different perches will resolve this, but I also suggest moving those bowls to a new location.

In fact, about twice a year it's a good idea to change things all around in his cage in order to keep him sharp and engaged.

I think this is enough to get you started for now --- please let me know if there's anything you need clarification on or any concerns I've overlooked. I will support you and your very caring efforts all the way

Thank you! Many people at the home visit Seymour --- he is much loved. Will do my best to improve his care.

I'm here for you as things progress. It's been a pleasure working with someone sincere about doing the right thing. Please be sure to rate our exchange here so I can take it off the board and come back anytime for anything

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS