Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a milligold Macaw. For the last couple of days she’s…

Customer Question
I have a milligold...

I have a milligold Macaw. For the last couple of days she’s been acting very strange. She was 3 years old in October and lately, as in the last 3 maybe even 4 months, it seems like she’s been in a constant state of molting. But, the last few days it seems like everything scares her, she’s making this short growling or grumbling sound over and over again. Mostly at night. Nothing I do seems to soothe her. And she’s lost roughly 42 grams in the last couple of weeks and had lost 28 the time before that Inhad weighed her. She was around 900 grams and is now at, right around, 830. She has been eating and drinking pretty normally until the last few days and is still eating and drinking, just maybe not quite as much. She had her yearly check up in November and all was well. They did a few tests then just to be safe because she was needing and had started shaking her head. She has always sneezeed since she was less than a year old. Could this be a mating/hormonal thing or do I need to get her to the vet ASAP?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the macaw's name?

Evanora

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Evanora?

Just that she has had some liquidy bowel movements. Maybe a few more than usual lately but has also always had those some. And she is still having normal bowel movements as well.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
Not sure how or why I was directed to a cat vet but I need an avian vet.
1/19/2018
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 7 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott Cert.Avian Specialist; ownr N.CA Parrot Rescue which specializes in macaws. Allow a few minutes to review & respond (please ignore site offers for phone svc)

First, tell me if you've seen any discharge with her sneezes and if so, is it clear, cloudy, yellowish, greenish or anything like that?

Secondly, describe in detail what she eats on a regular basis. Please don't just name the brands of foods since many brands make many formulas and diets. I need to know if she's eating a seed blend and what's in it; or if it's a pellet diet and what type (colored, flavored; plain, natural, low fat, etc) and of course any fresh foods she might enjoy, plus treats.

Take your time. I'm here.