Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My female budgie has a blue feet colour and sometimes it…

Customer Question
My female budgie has...

My female budgie has a blue feet colour and sometimes it fluffs up its self .what could be wrong with my bird? and why?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your bird?

My female bird's feet turned blue and it's fluffing it's self.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your bird seem to hurt?

Is leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the bird's name and age?

Her name is Tikkie but I don't know her age but she is an adult bird

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tikkie?

Its fluffing up its self

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird
She has a buddy who is a male bird but he is younger than tikke
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/6/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

A blue color to the feet indicates cyanosis - a lack of oxygen to the tissues - which usually is associated with significant respiratory compromise in budgies. Pneumonia and air sacculitits are likely although heart disease can manifest similarly. Fluffing is a non-specific sign indicating an attempt to conserve heat. I suspect that it may be difficult to find an avian vet where you live but such a vet is needed for Tikkie. A broad spectrum antibiotic which you would give directly into her beak should be considered.

Until Tikkie can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.