Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My parrot is holding out and shaking his wing. Charlie, 3…

Customer Question
My parrot is holding...

My parrot is holding out and shaking his wing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

Charlie, 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

No that’s all

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird
1/2/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A bird that hold a wing out and rests it on the perch or ground should be checked for a leg injury or paresis (weakness)/paralysis on the same side of that wing. If Charlie isn't using the wing to stabilize himself, the wing and under the wing itself should be examined - skin, feathers, and muscles. Are there any other worrisome signs you can tell me about?

he is not holding his wing out but one of his wings is shivering continuously significantly so I thought that he is holding out his wing

Thank you for the clarification. You'll need to carefully examine that wing as I mentioned. If you can't see anything obvious you can dissolve one adult 325 mg aspirin in 1/2 pint of water and use that water as his sole drinking source. It should provide antiinflammatory and analgesic action. I've spoken to other bird owners in Kawait and if I remember correctly, you don't have an avian vet in your country. Is that still the case?

We do have Vet hospitals , but I am wondering about the aspirin how often can I use it for him ?

You can keep aspirin in his water indefinitely but I would want to see a positive response to it (a normal wing) within a week. If you didn't see a positive response in that time period, it would be prudent to have a hands-on exam by a vet experienced in birds. Please continue our conversation if you wish.