Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My chicken is extremely lethargic and not eating, only

Customer Question
My chicken is extremely...

My chicken is extremely lethargic and not eating, only drinks when I dip its beak in water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your bird. What is the bird's name and age?

The birds name is ***** ***** is a few weeks old, maybe 10-12 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eyebrows?

I don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird
1/2/2018
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Eyebrows, please?

Regretfully, lethargy and anorexia can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in chickens. They’re signs of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs. It's best to bring your chicken inside as shown here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/how-to-help-sick-chicken.html. I would eyedropper or, preferably, tube if you're experienced in doing so, a gruel made of Eyebrows's feed until its crop was mildly distended and continue doing so as the crop emptied throughout the day. Dehydration is the main risk in these birds.

Have any new worrisome signs arisen?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Eyebrows has perked up a little. I've given it dewormer in water, vitamins in water and a probiotic the fodder store recommended. Eyebrows still isn't eating

I never argue with success but she has to demonstrate eating on her own for her to have a good prognosis for recovery. I have to leave my computer for the night but I promise to reply in the morning if need be.