Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

Just got home found parakeet on bottom of cage will not

Customer Question
Just got home found...

Just got home found parakeet on bottom of cage will not stand or fly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the parakeet?

Just found him on bottom of cage will not stand or fly one leg he seems to move and outstretch his claw but it won't support his weight the other he can move the leg but the claw is curled into a closed position and stays that way

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the parakeet seem to hurt?

Doesn't chirp in pain at all just laying on dining room table right now moves by pushing himself with one leg and wind wing i can hold him doesn't squawk at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the parakeet. What is the parakeet's name and age?

Horatio, he is about 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Horatio?

No I don't think so days leading up to this point he has been fluffing up a bit, eating tho and pooping, its been chilly we moved his cage away from window

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird
1/1/2018
Bird Specialist: Joan, Vet. Tech. replied 1 month ago
Joan
Joan, Vet. Tech.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I am sorry Horatio is having problems.

It is very concerning that he can only move with one leg and one wing. The inability to use his leg and wing, makes me think about a possible stroke. To help him until you can get to an Avian Vet, I would like you to set up a brooder box in his cage with some soft bedding to keep him warm and keep his food and water close by so he can eat and drink. You may want to try and give him a little Pedialyte and water via eye dropper to make sure he does not dehydrate. You can use a shoe box or a small plastic box for the brooder box. I would have Horatio seen by an Avian Vet as soon as reasonably possible.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you but immediately after I put in my credit card the Just Answer site prompted me to sign up for a free trial, with recurring charge while I was reading the page Horatio passed away so I logged out and didn’t accept the trial. Can you confirm I am not being charged. Thank you anyway . I wish you and yours a Happy HeAlthy New YeAr.

I am sorry for the loss. I do not handle any finances I only answer the questions. If you would like I can send this to Customer service. If You did not accept the recurring charge, They should not charge you. Would you like me to send this to Customer service? I am only paid when the question is rated., so you have no chrage right now for my answer.

Joan

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Thank you for the kind words. He is already sorely missed. He had a lot of personality, we loved him. Yes please do send this to customer service. Also I checked my credit card and they did charge me $5 and then $21. I hope they credit my card back. Have a Happy healthy New Year. Kathy *****

Happy New Year! I will send it now.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet. Tech.