Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

Sorry about before, I had to find cr card and transfer money…

Customer Question
Sorry about before, I...

Sorry about before, I had to find cr card and transfer money I contacted you about Pierre my 19 year old rooster, now my battery is low

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?

Now day five. First two days no food or water day 3 gave doxycycline in bird rearing food. Very difficult Today discovered meal worms. He is eating them but not drinking. His poor, both water and solids are green, his breathing is laboured. Not quite as bad as yesterday

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?

Pierre

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pierre?

I can't think of at the moment, but obviously there will be something

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Bird
12/29/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Pierre, please?

A 19 year old rooster would be one of the oldest chickens alive as life expectancy is 6 - 12 years for chickens. At his age degenerative and neoplastic conditions are the most important considerations and there's rarely just one thing going on. His labored breathing is an important sign but it isn't pathognomonic (specifically lndicative) of any one particular disorder. It can indicate significant respiratory compromise due to infection (bacterial, viral, fungal, parasitic), heart failure, or any number of metabolic disorders. An avian vet (aavac.com.au) would be needed to perform a complete physical exam on Pierre to better understand what's going on with him. His signs are that of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian