Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My parakeet lost all tail feathers yesterday by m dog

Customer Question
My parakeet lost all...

My parakeet lost all tail feathers yesterday by m dog stepping on them but today showing right leg favoring, is opening and closing talons med the area where band is seemed raw

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your parakeet?

Favoring right leg in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the parakeet's name and age?

Kira less than a year

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Kira?

Less than a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kira?

I have only had him one month

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Bird
12/18/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Kira, please?

It's very difficult for me to assess the extent of injury from afar. I'll need you to carefully examine Kira for wounds which you can safely cleanse with over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibiclens in your local drug store. As for analgesia, you can dissolve an adult 325 mg aspirin in 1/2 pint of water and use this as Kira's sole drinking source.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian