Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Are you a real person? Trouble breathing and watery

Customer Question
Are you a real...

Are you a real person?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the vet more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the bird?

Trouble breathing and watery dropings

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

I dont know

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Cant fly properly and watery droppings

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the bird eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the bird having trouble peeing or pooing?

Yes watery droppings

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name and age?

Snowflake 2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the bird's name?

Snowflake

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowflake?

Trouble flying

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
12/17/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Snowflake, please? Which type of bird is she? How long has she been symptomatic in that manner?

It's important to note that once a bird acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Snowflake's symptoms are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They’re signs of “sick bird syndrome” - part of an array of highly nonspecific clinical signs.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of Snowflake's choana - the slit between her oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be helpful as well.

Until she can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into her partially covered cage (not at night when she needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and put her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to her water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to her water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Snowflake's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.