Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

My sulpher crested cockatoo is not eating and hardly moving…

Customer Question
My sulpher crested cockatoo...

My sulpher crested cockatoo is not eating and hardly moving around

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the bird's name and age?

I let him out of cage and he will chew at the grass and then mostly stay still

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

My yellow crested cockatoo has stopped eating and gone very quiet

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Bird
I finally finished what I was trying to say . It seems this won't let me write line by line Now you have answered on this and not my finished enquiry . I paid the money for your help but you haven't said anything to help me, now it seems I have t pay for a vet for advice . on here ?
12/12/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. How old is your cockatoo, please? How long has he been symptomatic in that manner?

It's important to note that once a cockatoo acts ill it's already quite ill and in need of the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: aavac.com.au). This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. His symptoms of anorexia and lethargy and are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They're signs of "sick bird syndrome" which implies that illness in birds from many causes can look alike to caretakers and vets.

An avian-oriented vet might first treat symptomatically and supportively by providing supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle and tube feeding a "recovery" food. Blood tests and cultures of his choana - the slit between his oral cavity and nose - and cloaca (vent) may be taken. Whole body X-rays can be quite helpful as well.

Until he can be attended to, please heat up his environment to 29.4C by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. Because he appears weakened remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/agricultural merchant stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water. They won't be effective if only because an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly.

Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has his diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Thankyou Dr. Michael
My cockatoo ,Sam seems to be improving, and starting to move more and eating now and starting to talk again . Thankk goodness cause I have never seen him like this before. Sam is 27 years old . I have noted what you have suggested fo rhis diet. I've never given him egg yolk before but everything else you say is what he has . While he has been unwell I noticed he was drinking a lot. More than I have ever known him too..

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he's better. Polydipsia (increased thirst) usually appears secondary to polyuria (increased volume of urine) which can be caused by quite a few things including renal, hepatic, or pancreatic disease, diabetes mellitus and insipidus, Cushing's disease, and heavy metal toxicosis. An avian vet (www.aavac.com.au) would want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood, fecal, and urine tests in order to differentiate one cause from the other. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian