Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

She just jumped from her cage and is bleeding from her

Customer Question
She just jumped from...

She just jumped from her cage and is bleeding from her mouth. The blood is bright red and has a cut on her tongue that my husband can see. All vets are closed. What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

No she seems fine otherwise.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
12/11/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns regarding your bird.

What kind of bird is she?

How long ago did this happen?

How is she acting? Normal? Lethargic? Stumbling?

She is a Goffin. She is acting normal and jumping around her cage. It happened about 10-15 minutes ago. My husband thinks he saw a cut on her tongue.
The bleeding seems to be slowing down.

O​k, I'm glad she is acting normally.

It sounds like she may have bit her tongue in the fall. The good news is that oral injuries heal very quickly.

I recommend keeping her confined and as calm as possible. As he heartrate and blood pressure return to normal, the cut should clot and heal.

I​ wish her a calm evening and a swift recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

H​i, it's Dr. Denise. Just checking in. How is your Goffin doing?