Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

How much does this service cost? I have a chicken that was…

Customer Question
How much does this...

How much does this service cost?

Veterinarian's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I have a chicken that was found standing alone and leaning forward. I put her in a hot bath k and massaged her belly. she's been pushing and

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

Out came a clear, fluid filled snake looking sack.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

Belly

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the bird's name and age?

Tiny and 7months

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tiny?

7 mo

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
hello?
12/2/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I suspect that this is a shell-less malformed egg seen more often at the onset of egg-laying in hens. I'm going to send the photo to a specialist veterinary pathologist who has a special interest in birds. She usually gets back to me within 24 hours. Once I hear from her, I'll return to our conversation with an update for you. Now that Tiny has passed this, she should be feeling better. May I have an update on her, please?

The pathologist has asked for your estimate of the length of this, please.

The length is about 3-4"
She is feeling much better and is resting. Thank you.

Thank you. The pathologist thought it looked just like a sea creature called "the fat innkeeper". She said that it can only be from her reproductive tract and so our hope is that her next eggs will be more normal. Thank you for the good update. I appreciate it.

Ok. Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.