Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My 4 year old conure is limping and favoring his right foot.

Customer Question
My 4 year old...

My 4 year old conure is limping and favoring his right foot. He was fine when I put him to bed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A conure is a small parrot. He is actually a pineapple green cheek conure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, and I could see no wound..

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the parrot's name?

Sunshine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunshine?

He seems to be in pain but I know they try to not appear sick. His droppings seem normal. He's talking to me, but not quite himself.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Bird
I am heading to bed, will have to see your answer tomorrow.
12/1/2017
Bird Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr Hill. Is Sunshine still having difficulty using one of his legs?

He is still limping.
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Hello. I am terribly sorry to hear that your bird suffered what appears to be an injury. I shall do my best to provide you some advice and recommendations on how to proceed.1. First, we need to try and confirm if there is an injury and if so what type of injury. The most common examples of injuries would involve cuts to the feet or legs, muscle strains or even a broken leg. Your bird may have been frightened by a sudden noise or fallen off its perch or gotten a leg stuck in the bars of the cage based on the information that you provided which stated your bird was ok when you put it to bed for the night. Fortunately, while relatively common most injuries are minor and your bird should be able to recover fully.The best way to accomplish this is to examine your pet. You can wrap up your conure in a small hand towel or wash cloth. Consider wearing gloves as your bird probably won’t appreciate be restrained and may bite. It will be easier to have another person help you. One person will wrap and restrain the bird while the other examines your pet for injuries. Look for redness, swelling, open wounds, “crunching” sounds and/or instability and lack of movement in the leg. Examine the good leg first do you know what normal is. As a precaution, Restrain your bird for no more than five minutes at a time. release it and give it a rest if it starts to pant or open mouth breathe.2. If you do find an open wound here are my recommendations for dealing with it.A. If the injury is still bleeding then we can stop it by using a decent amount of moistened corn starch to pack the wound. Hold very firm pressure on the wound with corn starch and a clean paper towel or dish towel for 5 minutes. This home-based remedy should successfully stop the bleeding.B. You will need to prevent the wound from becoming infected until it heals. Clean the wound daily with a Q-tip moistened with soap and water. Dry the wound after cleaning it and apply a small amount of triple antibiotic ointment or Neospirin once a day for until the wound is healed which usually takes 10-14 days. This will help prevent an infection until the injury starts to heal.C. Here’s what you need to look for in case the wound becomes infected and your conure needs to be seen by your local veterinarian. Look for redness, swelling or any sort of discharge. This indicates an infection is present despite our best efforts and you will need to have your pet seen by a veterinarian to prescribe a systemic antibiotic to deal with the active infection.D. Please keep your injured conure isolated from any other cage mates as Injured or sick birds tend to get bullied by other members of their group which can make the problem worse and stress your bird.E. I would remove and perches temporarily and do what we call cage rest your bird for the next 72 hours. Standing on a soft surface such as a towel on the cage floor will allow it to rest and recover from any minor injuries. If you don’t see any open wounds and/or just what might be bruising or swelling from a muscle strain or ligament sprain then cage rest it for 72 hours. If the lameness or pain does not resolve in the next three days then the problem is likely serious and needs to be seen by a local veterinarian who is experienced working with birds. Your local veterinarian can examine the bird, perform X-rays if needed and/or prescribe pain relieving medications that are not available over the counter or as home remedies. Please be advised most of not all human based pain medications are not safe or effective in birds in the formulations available without a prescription.Meanwhile, you want to provide supportive care to your bird by ensuring they are drinking. You can even syringe feed them water or pedialyte to keep them from getting dehydrated.I hope that has provided some useful and practical information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with avian species or birds. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski
Thank you for your answer. I had pretty much figured out that my bird did not have any open wounds and that it was more a sprain. I had my ironing board up and he would lay down on it to get off his foot. (It is padded and soft.) Each day his foot is improving, thankfully. Unfortunately, I waited quite a while for your answer, finally I have up. I just now saw your reply. December 3. So I am not happy. I believe your answer is right on only I received it after the fact.
I am pleased to hear your bird is improving. I wish you and your bird all the best. If you have any further questions or concerns please let me know.FYI... most experts on the site are part-time so we answer questions and help pet owners when we can and log on. I’m sorry no one answered your question in a more timely manner.Dr. Adamski
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian