Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I recently got a pair of moustache parakeets. They are about…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi I...

Second opinion] Hi I recently got a pair of moustache parakeets. They are about 7-8 months old. One of them I noticed since last night is doing this wing flipping and some toe tapping almost continuously. It is making me a bit worried. She is eating good and is active through the day. Has not come out of the cage yet since shes still a bit new and scared. But the wing flipping has got me worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the bird?

Hi I recently got a pair of moustache parakeets. They are about 7-8 months old. One of them I noticed since last night is doing this wing flipping and some toe tapping almost continuously. It is making me a bit worried. She is eating good and is active through the day. Has not come out of the cage yet since shes still a bit new and scared. But the wing flipping has got me worried.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the bird seem to hurt?

She isnt showing any sign of pain shes doing wing flipping almost continuously and some toe tapping

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Shes doing wing flipping almost continuously and some toe tapping

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
Hi, one of my moustache parakeet is doing an almost continuous wing flipping/flicking motion. Sometimes theres also toe tapping. She slips her wing every fee seconds. I noticed it a day before. I have only just gotten her a week ago and did not notice this then. Should I take her to a vet asap or is this a expected behavior for a new parrot?
Answered in 2 days by:
12/2/2017
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 7 months ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

I'm August Abbott, cert. avian specialist; owner of N.CA Parrot Rescue. Give me just a few minutes to review your question & respond. In the meantime, is this bird eating and making normal looking droppings? Have you noticed her fluffing her feathers and keeping them fluffed, perhaps sleeping a lot?

Hi! Thank you for getting back to me. Yes my bird is eating, she enjoys fruits more then veggies and I also give her rudybush pellets and a little seeds ( almond and pumpkin seeds are her favorite). Droppings look normal. She only fluffs her feathers when its right before bed time and she is very active throughout the day.

Thank you for the additional information. I must commend you on already being an informed and attentive owner. The diet is exceptional!

By itself,‭ ‬these symptoms may be nothing.‭ ‬With all the research done over all the years,‭ ‬when an organic or physical reason isn‭’‬t found it‭’‬s possible that no cause will ever be pinpointed.‭ ‬
---‭
Toe tapping is often accompanied by wing flipping‭ ‬– where the bird holds the wings down slightly to the sides and quickly gives them a snap or flutter.‭ This does not have to be present however.
---‭
Again,‭ ‬if these are the only symptoms and they are not constant,‭ ‬they are probably not indications of serious disease.‭ ‬The first step you need to take though is a hands on examination by your vet.‭ ‬If you don‭’‬t have a vet,‭ ‬now is the time to get one.‭ ‬It‭’‬s much more desirable to have a vet in place when it‭’‬s not an emergency than trying to find one when it is.‭ ‬Believe me,‭ ‬these emergencies will occur in the middle of the night,‭ ‬on a weekend‭ ‬or holiday and it‭’‬s nice to have someone who knows your bird and who might open their office for you.‭
---‭

Now,‭ ‬let‭’‬s consider some of the organic and physical causes of this syndrome:‭
---‭ ‬
If your bird is on‭ (‬or has been on‭) ‬a predominantly seed diet,‭ ‬there may have been an overdosing of certain‭ ‬chemicals‭ ‬that manufacturers add to their products,‭ ‬as well as a deficiency of vitamins and nutrients.‭ ‬Packaging makes promises that sell seeds,‭ ‬not health.‭ ‬Unfortunately there are no rules,‭ ‬regulations or anything we can do.‭
---‭ ‬
Birds in the wild don‭’‬t eat strictly seeds,‭ ‬and those that do eat a lot of this high fat food get a huge amount of exercise with nearly constant flying in their search for more and a variety.‭
---‭

Calcium deficiency is another typical cause of toe tapping.‭ ‬Providing cuttlebone,‭ ‬mineral block and calcium rich foods is always important for psittacines like this.‭
---‭
Calcium foods include broccoli,‭ ‬dark greens like chard,‭ ‬spinach,‭ ‬beet tops,‭ ‬Brussels sprouts and even some natural‭ (‬no additives‭) ‬yogurt now and then.‭
---‭
Other possible causes for toe tapping in some birds is a mating behavior‭ (‬trying to attract a mate,‭ ‬get attention‭); ‬sometimes a bird will do this when frightened or expressing their territory‭ (‬a bird that is‭ ‬recently sexually mature might do this more than others‭); ‬in much less common cases,‭ ‬there may be a tumor or neurological condition present‭ ‬– which is another excellent reason why a full physical is a good idea.‭
---‭