Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I'm a little worried about my diamond dove, he has small…

Customer Question
Hello! I'm a little...

Hello! I'm a little worried about my diamond dove, he has small black specks around his face area, one is sitting on his feather but the others are kinda buried deep at the base of his feathers close to his beak-- I'm not sure if this is normal or if it's something like mites?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the bird?

No, other than that he is acting normal but he just itches sometimes. Thank you so much!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
11/30/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm concerned that you are seeing mites but to confirm such an infestation I would need to see a "speck" microscopically. You can moisten a cotton tip applicator with mineral oil and wipe the specks with the applicator to trap them on the tip. Any vet can then examine a smear on a microscope slide for you and tell you if they are, indeed, mites. If so, you can treat with over the counter Scatt as found here: https://www.amazon.com/Vetafarm-Products-Scatt-50-ml/dp/B001LK97DY

Some mites stay on the bird. Others leave the bird for the night and so disinfesting the cage is necessary in that case. If the mite can't be identified, disinfesting the cage makes sense. Mechanical cleansing with any household cleanser and thorough drying should suffice. The feather mites Megninia columbae and Falculifer rostratus are most common in doves. Doves also suffer from lice and ticks.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

That would be best but mites are quite species specific; in other words, there's a good chance that if he has mites those mites won't like the canary or finches.

There's nothing in those pics that resembles an insect! Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin