Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Our parakeet has a dark rough looking growth on her lower…

Customer Question
Our parakeet has a...

Our parakeet has a dark rough looking growth on her lower back. She picks at it and it bleeds sometimes

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the bird's name and age?

Sunny. Not sure how old she is maybe 8ish

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

She's still eating and drinking. Seems to chew her toys still

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
11/29/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sunny. You appear to be describing a uropygial (preen) gland hypertrophy due to a lack of vitamin A in her diet, neoplasia (cancer) of that gland, or perhaps impaction/infection of it. Can you upload a photo of the growth to our conversation? You can do so by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate if I can see what you're seeing. Please check that the photo is in focus before uploading.

give me a moment

I'll watch for your next post.

I could only send it through the texts I'm getting

If you need help please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us or 1-***-***-****

What do I do about this issue? Will she live? Is there treatment?
I really just need to know what to do please
I don't need to call customer service

Treatment is predicated upon the cause. A lack of vitamin A in the diet is addressed by improving the diet. For now you can add a liquid vitamin to her water such as Oasis brand found where bird supplies are sold. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. What has Sunny's diet consisted of, please? Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

An impaction would need to be cleared out and any infection addressed with an antibiotic prescribed by an avian vet (www.aav.org). A cancer is untreatable, however. Please continue on in our conversation if you wish.

Wow, I had no idea She needed all of that in her diet! She only gets seeds. Thats probably the problem. If I improve her diet this should clear itself up?

It can, yes, but healing could be hastened if the gland were cleaned out and debrided (removal of devitalized tissue) by an avian vet.

Ok, ill have to look into that. Thank you for your help. Hopefully she will recover from this.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.