Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I read that birds cannot have salt but everything has some…

Customer Question
hello I read that birds cannot...
hello
I read that birds cannot have salt but everything has some salt in it. A bird site said eggs are ok, but contains contain some sodium. So does kale, spinach. Is it all salt or just avoid high salt items?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 3 days by:
12/2/2017
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
Hello. I would be more than happy to answer your question. Birds will naturally obtain salt in their diet as they forage for food in the wild. Having salt or sodium in the diet is beneficial and natural. However, just like humans too much salt can cause problems with water retention and bloating as well as kidney or neurological problems.So, to sum things up. Please provide salt in moderation and avoid high salt food items. To cite your example of eggs, feeding a small amount of eggs on a daily basis or several times per week is ok as it is a good protein source but I would recommend you do not add salt to the eggs you feed your bird. As a rule of thumb what is healthy for you is healthy for your pet bird as regards ***** *****I will send you a list of healthy food items that are safe for birds as well for your reference. I hope this answers your question. I wish you and your pet all the best.Dr. Adamski
what are high salt items?
Any restaurant fast food items, salted snack chips and fried fatty type foods would all be considered high salt foods and thus should be avoided.Dr. Adamski
If you liked and appreciated my answers please rate my answer and click on the accept button so I can receive credit for my time and effort. It would be sincerely appreciated.Dr. Adamski
what is a packaged seed diet?