Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My scarlet macaw also has very smelly poop but otherwise…

Customer Question
My scarlet macaw...

My scarlet macaw also has very smelly poop but otherwise seems fine. Have changed diet many times and have had feces tested for multiple infections

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?

Chile and he's 15 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chile?

Always been in good health. About 6 months ago seemed lethargic but that has improved.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
I am terribly sorry to hear about your macaw. I shall do my best to help you. Please give me a few minutes to read your information & do some research so I can provide you with the best possible information and advice possible. I shall be in touch shortly.Dr. Adamski
Are you kidding? I thought you were going to give a response
I am going to help you out the best i can. The most common causes of abnormal feces in birds are as follows; a bacterial, fungal or viral infection, intestinal parasites, bacterial dysbiosis or the wrong type and number of bacteria in the intestines, cancer, hormone problems including stress or even reactions to certain foods.
Since you’re asking for help with a second opinion In order to do so i need some more information. So, here’s what i need from you to help me help you...1. You stated you’ve changed food multiple times. What was the most recent food and what is the current diet your macaw is being fed?2. You stated your local veterinarian ran some tests looking for infections. What were the results of those tests? If you have copies of the test results that could prove helpful.3. Did your macaw have any other problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc.4. Does your pet bird have any other medical problems i need to be aware of?I look forward to hearing back from you so i can start to help you and your macaw.Dr. Adamski
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
I am checking in to see if you still are requesting help. If you still wish some advice to help your pet then please go ahead and take a few minutes to answer the questions I posed. It will help me significantly to provide you the most accurate and useful advice possible. I wish you and your macaw all the best.Dr. Adamski