Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

We have a baby pigeon about 4 weeks old. Within an hour or…

Customer Question
We have a baby...

We have a baby pigeon about 4 weeks old. Within an hour or two of feeding it this morning we noticed that one of its eyes has a aqua translucent coating over one of its eyes. We have raised pigeons and doves over 40 years and have never seen anything like this. What can this be and is there anything that we can do for it. We have medicines here for if a bird gets an eye infection, but we are not sure if this is an eye infection. Also, might it be contagious that we should keep this bird away from the other 3 babies that we have it with?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name?

Buster. It is a Balear Pouter pigeon.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buster?

No. The bird is now just learning to eat seeds on its own and we have had these 3 babies in the house because they were born in late fall and it has turned pretty cold outside here in Michigan.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
11/25/2017
Bird Specialist: nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon replied 8 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Does the eye look sunken?

Any squinting?

Can you take a photo so I can see what you are seeing? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.