Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I just got my buggie 3 days ago, she/he is around 8 weeks…

Customer Question
Hello, I just got...

Hello, I just got my buggie 3 days ago, she/he is around 8 weeks old. The thing is that she's breathing heavily, like her body is moving rapidly when she does, she's almost always closing her eyes like to sleep, scratching her head over the stand stick and have a poop around her vent. Shall I be concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bird. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?

Well we have a big cage, and last week we got our first budgie, also 8 weeks old, as we don't have different cage we put them together. But they don't seem to fight Even eat together And she's loosing feathers

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
11/22/2017
Bird Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. I need to ask a few questions in order to help. Is the budgie housed with another bird, if so what type of bird? What do you feed? Where did you purchase the bird? Besides being fluffed, lethargic and breathing heavy, have you noted any sneezing, nasal discharge or regurgitation? Do you have a local avian veterinarian?

Dear Dr. Hill,thank you for your response. The budgie is housed in bigger cage with another 8 weeks old budgie (bought only a week before the concerning one). I feed them birdseeds, carrot/broccoli/spinach/apple/banana (one of these a day), and a bit of a treat bar for buggies. I only bought this budgie 2 days ago though. I purchased him in a family run pet shop here in London, I called them and they said that they make sure the birds don't have mites or any sort of parasites before going on sale. No, I haven't noticed any of the mentioned symptoms. There is one general vet practise around.

thank you. My initial concern is that you purchased a sick bird. Being fluffed and keeping her eyes closed are signs that she is very ill. The rapid respiratory rate and increased effort point towards a respiratory issue. With birdseed there is always the possibility of aspiration of seed into the airways. This will cause inflammation and can partially occlude the airway. I recommend that you take the sick budgie to a local veterinarian as soon as possible. IF she is stable enough, I would want X-rays. They may recommend putting her on oxygen, checking her blood sugar and starting antibiotics. Please ask any follow up questions.

Bird Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm