Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I found a two foot tapeworm in my geese yard? how can I test…

Customer Question
I found a two...

I found a two foot tapeworm in my geese yard? how can I test and or get rid of the tapeworms?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your bird can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the bird's name and age?

Well it's a flock

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your bird?

No other then there is 16 ducks too

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
11/21/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Control of the intermediate host for tapeworms has proven to be the best way of controlling a tapeworm problem. Even though geese have been reported infected with numerous species of tapeworms introduced by wild waterfowl, tapeworms are generally not a problem in goose production. This is particularly so if geese are denied access to natural waterways where they can ingest an intermediate host (most of the time a fresh water crustacean). At least four tapeworms have, however, been isolated from the intestinal lumen of geese.

Normally, geese infested with tapeworms will not perform well but isolation and identification of the worm is required for an accurate diagnosis. The first step to control tapeworm infestations in geese is to separate the geese from the intermediate host by confining them. The geese must also be isolated from natural waterways. Using only drugs to expel the worm will have a very short-term effect if the intermediate host isn't controlled. Praziquantel dosed at 5 - 10 mg per pound of body weight now and repeated in 10-14 days should be effective. You can find praziquantel over the counter where pet wormers are sold or online - google the keywords "tapeworms, "praziquantel" and ignore the label of the product when you see "for cats or dogs only". Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.