Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

Why would my parrotlet sqwack before it poops?

Customer Question
Why would my 1 year...

Why would my 1 year old parrotlet, Butters sqwack before it poops?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Bird
The poop is also a little more wet than usual
11/20/2017
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

There are quite a few considerations when painful elimination arises. These include the following:

Enteritis - infection/inflammation of the intestines - bacterial, fungal, viral or toxic

Intestinal parasites

Proventricular dilatation disease (bornavirus)

Chlamydiosis

Macrorhabdus (previously known as megabacteria or avian gastric yeast

Liver disease

Zinc and lead poisoning

Intestinal foreign body

Cloacal (vent) disease - internal papilloma disease, cloacoliths (stones), and cloacitis - inflammation/infection - bacterial, fungal, viral, or toxic

Butters will need the attention of an avian vet (www.aav.org) who will perform a thorough physical exam including blood tests and cultures of the vent/droppings in an attempt to clarify the etiology of Butters's pain.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian