Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Our Zoe is sneezing and feathers ruffled. We just spent

Customer Question
Our Zoe is sneezing...

Our Zoe is sneezing and feathers ruffled. We just spent $3,000 to save an Amazon the female Macaw hurt by wanting "J.J.'s box-wing amputated. We are seniors. My husband is in deniel that the male Macaw has a problem. The bird room is dusty. He was born in 1991. He is active and eating. sometimes his nose is a bit runny. I read to give him sweet potatoes for "A" deficiency. Are yams not as good ? Zoe doesn't like the orange potatoes . This has been going on for a while. I sprayed his water cup with collodiel silver and he has been better. His sneeze disappeared for quite awhile. We will turn heaters on too night to make sure he is warm. His mate is starting the same behavior. I have told my husband to stop giving him seed. We have stopped peanuts and Pistacchios. He loves pellets ..give him some . He is active and communicates . . Our bird Vet is so expensive we can't afford to take him. I read he needs Vitamin d ..what source is that from ? My husband makes bird bread he likes .It contains:whole wheat flour brown rice flour rye flour chia seed flax seed carrot powder coconut oil raisins walnuts almonds sugar honey eggs baking soda prunes and dates. Everyday he gets cooked brown rice sliced apple,carrots, sometimes celery, sometimes romain, sunflower seeds every day and pellets . Please can you help me ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is Vet?

Can you type me answers please ? Kathleen Brandt .Cant chat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vet?

I don't understand the question very well

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Bird
11/19/2017
Bird Specialist: Scott Perry, Breeder replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Breeder

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Zoe has been sneezing, not eating well, and has ruffled feathers. I am sorry to hear about the problems you have been experiencing. Here are the answers to your questions.

The best source of vitamin D is from sunlight. Natural exposure to the sun will generate vitamin D, so if the enclosure can be outside or near the window, only if the temperature is not cold or very different from the temperature inside the house, then that is an easy way to get vitamin D. Another way to do it is to purchase a UV bulb from a pet store. These are sold in the same area where reptile and amphibian materials are found. Sweet potatoes are excellent sources of vitamin A, so yams are also good sources for you to give. Another way to keep him warm at night is to use a heat bulb instead of having to turn on the heater at night. A heat bulb is found in the same section as the UV bulb.

The primary problem you mentioned sounds like the dust in the air in the bird room. This will contribute to an upper respiratory problem and cause sneezing and a runny nose. If that can be cleaned up by increasing ventilation or using an air purifier then you may have a significant improvement. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!