Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

How do I bind my chicken's claw that almost broke off

Customer Question
How do I bind...

How do I bind my chicken's claw that almost broke off completely right where it joins the toe? The claw is hanging there and it's bleeding some.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Bird
update: the nail came off. My husband put a little pressure on the toe and the bleeding has stopped 90%.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/19/2017
Bird Specialist: Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Yankmedic911
Yankmedic911, Avian Veterinarian
I noticed you had not received an answer from an expert so i shall do what i can to help. I’m truly sorry to hear your chicken suffered an injury. Good job with your first-aid BTW.Here are my recommendations:1. You stated the bleeding had been decreased by 90% or so with direct pressure. If it is still bleeding now or in the future for other cases you can use moistened corn starch as a home remedy to stop bleeding. Pack it on the wound and apply firm direct pressure for 5 minutes.2. Keep an eye on the wound for 24 hours. If the bleeding does not resume you should be ok as a clot will have formed by then.3. Once you control the bleeding we will need to ensure it doesn’t get infected. Please gently wash the injured area with warm soap and water daily. You can use a Q-tip to help access the area. Apply a triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin) once a day for 7-10 days. The wound should heal by then.4. Consider isolating your injured chicken from the rest of the flock until the wound is healed as chickens tend to bully injured or sick birds. 🙄 consider keeping it in a fenced off area or garage or large dog crate if you have the resources available.5. Overall, losing a nail is not a serious injury and most birds recover just fine. However, here is what you want to look for to notice if a serious problem is developing. If you start to see your bird become lame or not walk properly, the foot starts to swell, turn red or you see discharge from the wound please contact your local veterinarian who has experience working with birds as it will need medical care since the wound might have become infected.I hope that has provided some useful and practical information for you. I would recommend you visit a veterinarian experienced working with avian species or birds. You can locate a local veterinarian in your area by going to the following link which lists vets by state or province.http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803I hope this helps. If you have further questions or concerns please let me know. I wish you and your bird all the best.Dr. Adamski
I am checking in to see how your chicken is doing. Should you require any further advice or help please let me know. I wish you and your chicken all the best.Dr. Adamski